Inside the shattered city of Taiz, Yemen

BBC iPlayer Radio report:

Yemen is already one of the poorest nations in the Arab world. Now things have gone from bad to worse, since the start of an uprising launched by the Houthi rebel group. A Saudi-led coalition has gone to war against the rebels. Since March 2015, more than 6,000 people have died. The country's basic infrastructure is shattered, its economy is almost non-existent and at least 80% of the population is dependent on food aid. Safa Al Ahmad has travelled to the besieged Yemeni city of Taiz.

Listen to it here

MSF Blog post about Taiz Hospital

Blog post by Chris entitled 'Three Familiar Sounds'

Read it here

Life under siege: inside Taiz, the Yemeni city being slowly strangled

Article by theguardian:

In Yemen’s second most populated city, a Houthi blockade has brought residents previously barely subsisting to the brink of catastrophe.

Ismail lies on green linoleum sheets, his black eyes too large for his gaunt face. Craning his neck, he tries to inspect the bandage covering his body, but weakness pulls him back. From the pillow, he whispers “hawan” (mortar).

Ismail, who says he is 12 but has the body of a six-year-old, used to make a few Yemeni riyals every day by washing graves in a new cemetery in the city of Taiz devoted to those killed in Yemen’s ongoing civil war.

Just before noon on one day in November, he and his two young cousins were sitting under a mango tree, cleaning the grave of a 10-year-old girl called Basma, when three mortar shells fell. A splatter of deep scars on the tree trunk and on the grave’s concrete surface mark the spot where one exploded. The two cousins, aged two and four, died instantly.

Read the full article here

In Yemen's besieged city of Taiz peace is the priority

Al-Jazeera report on the desperate situation in Taiz, Yemen's second most populated city:

Many residents of the city are in dire need of basic goods, but what they most want is an end to the fighting.

Read the full article here

The world needs to know about Yemen’s war. But journalists are being silenced

Article for theguardian by Charlene Rodrigues:

One Friday in Old Sana’a, while filming the aftermath of the Saudi-led coalition bombings, I found myself surrounded by a group of militia who were trying to take hold of my camera. I was detained for a few hours in the ruins, confused and unnerved. The interrogation I received from the Houthis was relentless. But the problems didn’t stop here. For a week, I was harassed with regular phone calls and visits from National Security officials at my hotel. All this despite having a press visa issued in London.

Incidents such as these are increasingly common since the rebel Houthi militia took over Sana’a in late September last year. Local journalists have either fled to their villages or left the country. Some have been threatened and assaulted, while others’ homes have been ransacked, their families living in constant fear. There are only a handful of foreign journalists in the country and they keep a low profile.

Read the full article here

In Taiz

LRB blog article by Michelle Ghabrial:

Twelve-year-old Aqeed Abdel-Salam was lying unconscious in the emergency room of Thawra hospital in the besieged Yemeni city of Taiz. He had been shot in the head by a sniper. His parents said he came under fire when he went to check on the doves on the roof early in the morning. Taiz in south-west Yemen is one of the cities hardest hit by ground-fighting and airstrikes. The outskirts and surrounding hilltops are mostly in the hands of Houthi forces; the city centre was retaken by forces loyal to President Hadi in August.

Read the full article here