No legitimate reason for attacks on Yemen hospitals, says aid group

By Schams Elwazer and Elizabeth Roberts, CNN

Doctors Without Borders said there was no legitimate reason for attacks on two medical facilities it supported in Yemen that killed 20 people and caused the group to pull out of the country.

On Monday the humanitarian group -- also known as Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) -- released the results of investigations into airstrikes on a hospital in Abs in August and on a clinic in Taiz last December.

MSF said its investigation showed that "the neutrality and impartiality of the facilities had not been compromised before the attacks and therefore there was no legitimate reason to attack them."

Read full article here
(includes videos)

Yemen crisis: “It was raining rockets”

Article by Holly Frew for Care International

Conflict in Yemen has torn the country apart, leaving millions living on the edge – fearful for their lives, fearful for the future, fearful for how they will survive even if they escape the airstrikes and the fighting.

“It was 7am and I was having breakfast with my mother-in law and four of my daughters,” said Hammama, recounting what began as a seemingly ordinary day in Yemen. Only things are not ordinary in Yemen, and on that day, extraordinary events changed Hammama’s life forever.

“We heard the aircraft hovering low overhead and airstrikes in the surrounding area, but that was a sound we had gotten used to. We didn’t think we would be a target.”

Read full article here

One woman's lonely struggle against famine in Yemen

BBC article by Nawal al-Maghafi

After two years of war in Yemen and a Saudi-led blockade lasting 18 months millions of people are slowly starving - some are already dying for lack of food. One doctor in the Red Sea port city of Hudaydah is doing all she can to save them.

In her 20 years as a doctor Ashwaq Muharram has never seen things so bad.

"I'm seeing the same thing I used to watch on TV when the famine unfolded in Somalia," she tells me. "I never thought I would see this in Yemen."

Read full article here

Watch Starving Yemen on Our World at 21:30 BST, Saturday 24 September on the BBC News Channel - in the UK, you can catch up later on the BBC iPlayer

Watch it here (available until 25 October 2016)

Britain increases aid to Yemen while selling arms to Saudis

Express article by Tom Batchelor

BRITAIN is to increase the amount of aid destined for those caught up in the civil war in Yemen - at the same time as it sells arms to the Saudi regime which is carrying out airstrikes in the war-torn Gulf state.

International Development Secretary Priti Patel announced that Britain will provide an additional £37million in funding for Yemen this year.

A total of £72m has already been committed to the crisis in Yemen by the UK Government.

But the Government has simultaneously approved more than £3billion in arms sales over the past 18 months.

Read full article here

Yemen: On the brink of starvation - BBC News

BBC news video by Nawal al-Maghafi

Watch it here

From the Margin of Life into the Heart of War

This documentary, from Mwatana Organization for Human Rights, focuses one of several Saudi airstrikes that destroyed civilian homes and killed members of the "Muhammashin (Marginalized)" social class.

Watch the video here

Reuters - Malnutrition grows in war-ravaged Yemen

Reuters video, 21 September 2016

Malnutrition grows in war-ravaged Yemen

Watch it here

MPs call for UK to halt arms sales to Saudi Arabia

BBC News article

The UK should stop selling arms to Saudi Arabia while Saudi actions in neighbouring Yemen are investigated, a draft report by MPs has said.

The Committees on Arms Export Controls said it was highly likely that weapons had been used to violate international humanitarian and human rights laws.

The draft report has been seen by the BBC's Newsnight programme.

The UK government said it had received assurances from Saudi Arabia but the committee said this was not sufficient.

Read full article here

A 10-year-old girl makes her pitch to Western powers for peace in Yemen

Article by Stephen Snyder for PRI

Yara is a 10-year-old girl living in Yemen's rebel-held capital city, Sanaa. The sound of fighter jets, rockets and bomb blasts have kept her awake at night since she was 8 and a half.

Recently, she decided it was time to do something. So she made a video.

“I don't want it to be my turn to die,” she says, in a message recorded in her bedroom on her mom’s cell phone. “I want to live all my life, I want to be a doctor, I want to be an engineer,” she tells the camera. "I want to grow up and be something important in this world.”

Yara encouraged her parents to share the video on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook. Within a week, it had been viewed more than 15,000 times.

Read the full article here

Watch her video here

BBC report about Yara

Boris Johnson defends UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia

Article by Patrick Wintour for theguardian

Foreign secretary says breaches of international law during Yemen airstrikes were not proven, as MPs prepare to call for ban on UK exports

The British foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, has defended UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia, saying the Saudi-led bombing campaign in Yemen is not “in clear breach” of international humanitarian law.

This week MPs will decide whether to call for a ban on arms sales to Saudi in light of allegations of indiscriminate bombing by the Saudi-led coalition during the 18-month-old Yemen civil war.

In a written statement to parliament, Johnson says: “The key test for our continued arms exports to Saudi Arabia in relation to international humanitarian law is whether those weapons might be used in a commission of a serious breach of international humanitarian law. Having regard to all the information available to us, we assess this test has not been met.”

His judgment is based largely on an Saudi-led inquiry into eight controversial incidents, including the bombing of hospitals. The report, published on 4 August, largely defended the bombing runs on the basis that the Saudis had received credible intelligence that enemy Houthi forces were in the area. In one case it offered compensation to the victims.

Defending the credibility of a Saudi-led inquiry exonerating Saudi targeting, Johnson said: “They have the best insight into their own procedures and will be able to conduct the most thorough and conclusive investigations. It will also allow the coalition forces to work out what went wrong and apply the lessons learned in the best possible way. This is the standard we set ourselves and our allies.”

Read full article here